Monday, November 22, 2010

Bipolar or just regular mood swings? *Will Select Best Answer* ---?

How can a teenager be diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder? I mean, wouldn't you be easily confused with the tendancy young people have to rapidly change moods? Look, I'm almost positive that I'm Bipolar, but my mom thinks it is just regular teenage mood swings. I think it's too severe for that. I sort of want to be diagnosed as being Bipolar because I want help. I don't like what happens to me, but I can't really fight it. If you'd like to know WHY I think I'm bipolar...



-I eat a lot all the time.

-I have trouble waking up.

-I have trouble falling asleep.

-I can become extremely angry in a heartbeat over absolutely nothing. In my anger, I have physically hurt people and damaged my house and my belongings. I can't really control my anger or stop myself.

-I can feel unexplainably happy or hyper out of no where.

-I can't really concentrate on one task.

-I often have thoughts about suicide and running away.

-I have trouble talking to others.



That's all I can name right now, there's more tho.Bipolar or just regular mood swings? *Will Select Best Answer* ---?
I;m bi-polar and was diagnosed as a teenager--at about 16. A lot of your symptoms go with bi-polar AND teenagehood. I basically did think I had it prior to being diagnosed--and almost nobody believed me..even doctors. I knew because things like insomnia,talking fast,then some days not talking at all, anger,feeling rejected when I really wasn't all started since I could remember--they were there even as a little child (3 or 4). That is how I knew it wasn't just teenagehood--I wouldn't have those syptoms if I was a child if it was just hormones, I would recommend talking with a professional if possible. It did seem to be more lows then highs and I a that way too..a bi-polar person can have only 4 episodes of hypermanis a year. They're still bipolar. It's hard for me to decide because I'm not a doctor--but from experience there's a very good chance you are. If your parents are in denial I suggest just trying to get them to listen, or getting a family friend to back you up and talk to them so you can see a professional. If you have any questions feel free to ask me :). It's been a hard road with bi-polar it really is so sucky to have. I jsut had a baby so Ihad to be off my medications for a long time, and the symptoms got so bad after I gave birth..I forgot how horrible it can be! So remember get help, ok? I hope this was a help.



Here's a few websites that may help:

http://www.bipolar.com/



http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/Bipolar or just regular mood swings? *Will Select Best Answer* ---?
Maybe you could get a school counsellor evaluate you, and you're Mum wouldn't even have to know about it unless you do have bipolar.
Do not get diagnosed on line about a serious illness like Bipolar do. This is a life long illness .It requires life long treatment. Treatment is with medicines which have serious side effects. I am not discouraging you from getting proper evaluation. Just looking at few symptoms on line and not getting detailed history of these symptoms will be a disfavor to you. see a shrink.
What you are describing can be fairly typical of teenagers. That doesn't mean there isn't more to it. But believe me, you don't want to be bipolar. Treatment is difficult and can take a long time to figure out.



Right now you are going through a very hormonal period in your life. It would be difficult to fully diagnose you before you are past this stage because mood swings and all of the things you are describing could be attributed to your abundance of raging hormones. This is the age the parents have the most difficult time with because their children are so difficult and moody.



What you aren't describing that is a key component of bipolar disorder is extreme highs and extreme lows. You said you could be happy and hyper, but I wouldn't necessarily say that is the same thing.



The people I know with bipolar disorder are extremely charming when they are experiencing a high time. It's like nothing can go wrong and life is great. They can do anything. But when they are down, it's suicide low. It's rock bottom misery.



Rent the movie, ';Mr. Jones';. It's an older movie with Richard Gere and he plays a manic depressive/bipolar man. People love his character when he's up...and when he's down, it's really bad.



Anyway, for your sake, I hope it's just hormones. I wouldn't wish bipolar disorder on anyone.
Talk to your school counselor about this. They may be able to point you in the right direction.



Bipolar is a condition best consulted with by professionals.

It's confusing, but such conditions are not black and white, and the label is based on how many of your symptoms match a known condition that is recognized enough to be labled.

And often, no two cases are exactly alike, everybody's body is different, but can be generally treated reasonably with similar treatments.



Sometimes we just need more love and attention to get us thru our teen years, and that's ok. Sometimes it is a condition we need help with from a doctor, and that's ok too.



We are all different, but also the same in many ways. In either case, surrounding yourself with people that love you is always good.
I think seeking medical advice is a good start. I have a friend at work who had these same symptoms and she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and anxiety disorder and is taking thyroid medication and wellbutrin and is doing well now.

Thoughts of suicide are not to be taken lightly. Seek help and by all means exercise to keep the endorphins in high reserve to combat depression.
i am going through all that myself rite now, and i am in my late 30';s.I had all you had when i was younger as well and noone helped me.I hope you can muster it up and talk w/ your guidance counseler at school-i know it is very awkward to tell people you feel crazy, but then they can either get you to the rite place- hopefully free of charge-to diagnose you and get you meds or speak w/ your mom and make sure she listens and gets you help.it is so tough i know because if you are like me you are not a people person and sharing your persoal thinbgs is very awkward, but please go for it, because i have had this for 22 years and have lost many jobs and many oppertunities because of this disabeling disease.Please get help asap and keep your head up- b/c i bet you are a great person inside and out
You really should see a doctor about your problem.Only a doctor can diagnose your condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment