Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I know when to stand by my point of view, and when to change my mind.?

I have bipolar disorder. I often have a strong opinion about something, then the next mood change I completely change my opinion. I often say something in ernest to someone, and then the next day be embarrassed that I said it. I often react strongly about what's going on and then the next day feel that my reaction was inappropriate.How do I know when to stand by my point of view, and when to change my mind.?
The only way you can know when to stand by your opinions and when to not feel so strongly about things is to discover what kind of a person you are, and what makes you tick. AND AND AND the only way that is going to work is to spend time with yourself. I'm not sure what works for me, but i like to write down my thoughts and feelings. It does not necessarily have to be on a daily basis nor do you write only when something big happened. When i write, i feel like i'm being truthful to who i am and my feelings... and not just saying or thinking in a way just because i need to or i want to be accepted by others.



Like you can write about occasions when you said something you didn't mean just to appease sb, and talk what you should have done, what you could have said instead. Or there was one occasion when a friend was merely expressing her own opinion about a shirt she disliked and you ended up in a fierce debate over with her? You might like to reflect and realise perhaps for such issues, it's okay for everybody to have different opinions.



In actual fact, there is nothing difficult about expressing your true perspectives and at the same time, not hurt anybody. As long as you're sensitive to the words you use, and the intentions behind the messages you convey, you can pretty much voice out what's lurking in your mind and how you truly feel.



I'm sure as time goes by, and you start practicing when to say the right things etc, it wld become a natural instinct thing. Speak from your heart and be truthful when appropriate.



All the best(:How do I know when to stand by my point of view, and when to change my mind.?
Please don't think that this is something that only bipolar people experience, we all have our change of mind and opinions. The best thing to do in your case is to avoid giving an immediate response, rather try to answer in a non-definitive way like saying:';well, it depends...';. And you know what? it really is like that in real life; things are rarely black and white.

You stand by your point of view when, after hearing so many opinions, you sit down with yourself and think about it but you find that can still justify your view against the other views, that you can still argue your way and you are still convinced that is what feels right for you -THAT's when you stand by your opinion.

All the best..
How long have you been diagnosed with bipolar? Perhaps your medication needs adjusting to find the right dose for you. Talk to your GP/treating physician and see if there is something that can be done.



With regards to your changing opinions, just try to moderate your reactions. Its OK to change your opinion as your mood changes as long as you take the time to explain to this to people (if you suddenly change from being strongly in favour of something to strongly against or vice versa without explanation people will criticise you for being inconsistent).



If you try to keep your reactions in check on a day to day basis you should be able to avoid the embarrassment you feel afterwards. It will probably take some time to retrain yourself so don't expect to fix this overnight.



Good luck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment