Monday, November 22, 2010

How does the mood change in Emily Dickenson's ';a Narrow Fellow in the Grass';?

How does the mood change in the third stanza?





';A narrow Fellow in the Grass

Occasionally rides--

You may have met Him--

did you not

His notice sudden is--



The Grass divides as with a Comb--

A spotted shaft is seen--

And then it closes at your feet

And opens further on--



He likes a Boggy Acre

A Floor too cool for Corn--

Yet when a Boy, and Barefoot--

I more than once at Noon



Have passed, I thought, a Whip lash

Unbraiding in the Sun

When stooping to secure it

It wrinkled, and was gone--



Several of Nature's People

I know, and they know me--

I feel for them a transport

Of cordiality--



But never met this Fellow

Attended, or alone

Without a tighter breathing

And Zero at the Bone';



揈mily DickinsonHow does the mood change in Emily Dickenson's ';a Narrow Fellow in the Grass';?
No Idea, sorry.

Return the favor please?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;How does the mood change in Emily Dickenson's ';a Narrow Fellow in the Grass';?
From what I can tell the poem is about a kid and a snake. I have two answers one i got from reading stuff online, the other is my personal opinion.

My opinion: first two stanzas seem kind of fast and the third kind of goes into a tranquility and slows down. Basically the mood change is it has turned to being tranquil.



What I determined from the internet: In the first 2 stanzas he is curious and than the third stanza I believe it is kind of like fear or worry. He has finally encountered the snake and is probably scared. The poems I think explains in the 3rd stanza what the snake likes ';A floor too cool for corn'; saying the snake likes to live in cool places. The next line ';Yet when a boy, and barefoot'; could imply that the boy is about to be bit or fears he will be bit since he is barefoot. However the next few lines I feel say the boy was bit and is now dying. ';Several of Nature's people'; could imply the after life and the part ';i know and they know me'; shows the boy is going to the after life. So basically the mood change is curiosity to fear.



Sorry I wrote to much but good luck on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment