Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What 'scents' can change your mood?

The other day I walked by a woman who had taken a bath in a heavy perfume which gave me a bad migraine and instanly I felt so mean. I have heard that certain scents can change your mood. I would like to know which ones would mellow a person and how you can purchase a product that would help. My mood change so quick that I have thought it might be from smells. ThanksWhat 'scents' can change your mood?
Scents are a very powerfully psychological thing. Scents can bring back memories you didn't even know you had or suddenly put you into a completely opposite mood of what you were before, and are, to an extent, somewhat personal. For example, the scent of lemon makes me very happy and mellow because it reminds me of summers spent with my sister on Lake Huron, whereas lavender, a scent that should usually make you feel calm and relaxed makes me feel a bit agitated because of a bad memory I associate with the smell. That said, here are some of the typical scents that will change your mood for the better:



Lavender, Peppermint or Spearmint, Chamomile, Eucalyptus, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Citrus, Almond, and Rose.



What you're talking about is called aromatherapy, and just do a Google search on the topic to learn a lot about it! If you're looking for products like this, you can try Bath and Body works first, and look for candles and essential oils in the aromatherapy section of the store. Try other organic type stores, they usually carry this kind of thing.What 'scents' can change your mood?
Lavender is probably the winner on this one. Aromatherapists love the stuff and claim it relaxes stress, induces calmness......etc.



Others include chamomile, rosemary, coconut....etc



a great one is if you have a particular smell that brings you back to a particular memory that you cherish. For me, I have a lot of great memories of autumn when I was a child....so a pumpkin scented candle generally perks me up a bit.
It very well can be. I find many smells give me an instant headache, some make me tired, some kind of energize me. Colognes especially. When my husband wants a new one I have to go with him.

Lavender is a good one for calming, also I have a angel food cake candle, and a clove one that calms me down.

Citrus fruits can energize.

Woody ones and oceany smelling products give me headaches.

I go into Peir one imports and give the candles a smell. They have really nice ones there.

Also and place that does aromatherapy can give you advice....spas and things like that.
My favorite is sandalwood for serenity.



I either burn sandalwood incense, or have these unfired clay containers like little jugs or bottles, that I fill with sandalwood oil; since they're unfired, they're permeable to the oil.
lavender is a good mood relaxer

No comments:

Post a Comment