Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Borderline Personality Disorder? Mood-Swings?! Please Read!?

I am 17 and see a Psychiatrist and Social Worker. I think I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder but until they diagnose me with something I won't mention it. I am going to see them again on the 3rd of March. They already said I have a fear of abandonment but I never told them about my Mood-Swings but I will next time.



I can be with my friends all calm and chilled out, then I can start getting all hyperactive and energetic and my friends will say I'm on a ';Hype'; and then not long after I'll start to calm down and I might start getting irritable and nervous, then I'll think my own friends are doing something and start getting paranoid and anxious, soon after I will get angry and just have an angry outburst on them all and will be very aggressive, I won't hit people, but verbally, and I'll completely HATE them while I am angry and say horrible things, once I've calmed down and I'm alone I'll start to feel guilty and the guilt will turn to sadness and I'll be depressed and soon after go to my usual, empty state. Where I feel like nobody.



I either love people or hate them, and it changes a lot, sometimes I see my Mum as the best Mum in the world and other times I really dislike her and wish I weren't born into this family. My Mood-Swings affect everything and they can make my life unbearable at times, or at least feel as though it is.



When around many people I feel myself getting angry at them when they all talk, and I just want to scream and hit them, these are some pictures I took of myself and edited, showing how my moods change http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac286 the writing part is most of the emotions because I couldn't describe them all in a picture.



I think I am Borderline, but is this a symptom of anything else? I am worried they'll diagnose me with Bipolar because I am pretty sure I don't have it. And how can I control my moods? Will the Psychiatrist give me medication to control them? Thanks.Borderline Personality Disorder? Mood-Swings?! Please Read!?
If you have any disorder you will not be diagnosed officially until you are 18. They may say that you have borderline traits etc.



Some psychiatrists don't believe in telling people their diagnosis as they feel it can be counter productive.



What I will say, if you are hoping to be able to treat what is wrong with you and to try and get better, do not hope for a diagnosis of borderline. Borderline isn't treated with medication and the only therapy that has been vaguely successful (DBT) has waiting lists about 3 years long.



Borderlines are pretty much hated by mental health professionals and it is a perpetual uphill struggle to try and get any help. This is obviously only based on my experience so it could just be the people I have dealt with.



Whatever your diagnosis, push hard for the help you want and don't take no for an answer.Borderline Personality Disorder? Mood-Swings?! Please Read!?
Everybody has a 'personality disorder' when they are being themselves. All that ADHD, ADD, Bi-polar sh1t means you can't fake it like most people. Your fine dude, be who you are.
I don't think it will be Bipolar even though you mention mood swings. Even those with Rapid Cycling Bipolar do not change moods as quickly as you describe. You obviously do have some issues, but It is not wise to self diagnose. It's only a couple of weeks till your appointment, just maybe write a list of symptoms you have experienced so you don't forget them when you see the psychiatrist next.
I think it will lead to Bipolar and you will get meds. It will be all right.



For one thing, don't be so sensitive about, artistic %26amp; self analytical. Go with the flow, or make an effort towards specific goals of fitting in and being functional. Life isn't easy, others have this problem.



It was already difficult and challenging, and it only got worse in society with emo, scene, drugs, sex addiction, screamo, death metal, devil admiration, underground culture, gangs replacing family, family breakups etc. etc.
I'm not a psychiatrist, but I do have an opinion even though this is not my area of expertise. I don't think you're borderline anything. I think you're just a regualr, pain in the a** teenager. And that's ok. That's all good. Us old folks had our chance, and we did what we could to become different and become what we are today. You kids have a different way of doing it. That's all good. Must of us older people don't want to understand you teens, but I do. And I respect it. I believe that you're an intelligent person who is reading too much into his own emotional maturity process. You have to lighten up on yourself and not worry about what being with friends and then getting 'hype' or getting irritable. You are who you are and will adjust your own self to however you want yourself to be. And you certainly don't need a shrink or a stranger like me to tell you that. Maybe having an older more mature individual to talk to is a good idea for you. Someone you admire and someone you can trust. But not a Professional. A professional's BUSINESS is to help people. But not out of the kindness of their heart. More out of the hunger in their

wallet. Chill out and be yourself and be happy. This years are the best times of your life. Good Luck.
It's impossible to say just from what you've written here. While it certainly sounds like a possibility, BPD is VERY rare. You could also have some variation of bipolar disorder. As for how treatment will work, you need to talk to your psychiatrist or social worker about that. I also suggest being very frank with them, and telling them everything you wrote here and more if there's more--about how you think you have BPD and you don't think you have bipolar, and all the reasons for that. Remember that they are experts on this, and if for whatever reason you think they're wrong, ask them to explain to you in detail why they've made whatever diagnosis they make. They are the ones from whom you need to get your diagnosis--not anyone on the internet.



BPD is treated with dialectical behavioral therapy. People with BPD also respond well to meditation and relaxation exercises. I'm not sure if medication is usually used, but it's possible. Bipolar disorder is treated with cognitive behavioral therapy (sometimes with a mindfulness or metacognitive component) and some sort of medication, often an antipsychotic and an antidepressant.

No comments:

Post a Comment