Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Do you really have to follow rules when you play piano?

More specifically, the rule about keeping the same tempo throughout a whole song. When I used to take piano lessons I would get in trouble for changing the tempo frequently during a song.



I just feel that when the mood changes, the tempo can change too. As a listener does this sound bad? How important is it to maintain the same speed during a song?Do you really have to follow rules when you play piano?
if it's a known piece, i would try and maintain the tempo given, but if you're just playing then you can change it up. Jazz piano is all about different tempos and moods.Do you really have to follow rules when you play piano?
You can change the tempo all you want. It's called rubato.
You need to learn it straight. After you're familiar with the piece you can see if you can slightly alter the tempo and still be true to the composer's intent.
no play whatever you want how you want because no one can judge you as long as it makes good sounds and music who cares what other people say i type all around the keyboard not in one spot you get it?
Two answers here:

Sounds like you're still learning to play the instrument. Listen to your teacher - he's there to help you be a better musician. Keeping a regular, even tempo takes discipline. Learn to do that first.



Yes, you can and should change the tempo during expressive parts. The composer often will make notes to that effect like ';rubato'; or ';accel';. Again, however, learn the discipline associated with an instrument. Then you can relax a bit.
It depends...



If you're playing classical pieces, you should probably stay within the tempo. Classical music is pretty strict on dynamics and tempo...



But in jazz and blues, where improvising and expression is an important part of the music, you should try and learn to express yourself so that it flows with and matches the music.



The speed does effect how the music sounds also...
I do the same thing. In my University I am like the rebel in music. All my teachers hate and despise me because I'm different and don't follow the classical genre as much as they want me too, like it is all I should ever be involved in. I can't stand it.



but in my opinion, yes you can. Do whatever you want. Back in the day a lot of classical musicians and composers pushed music to its breaking point and challenged the society and culture of the time and I believe that is the exact reason of why they are famous. and nowadays, it is as if we lost individuality along the way. It is sickening to me.



anyways I wish you luck. Do what feels natural and good to you in music and in life and forget the rest.
  • client time
  • benefits of using
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment