Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Need help trying to convince parents-changing moods?

hi all, can someone hep me?

ok i'm in yr 12 and i am at the stage of having to decide what i want 2 do 4 the rest of my life (i live in aus). at one stage it was teaching, then customs, but i have finally resided myself to the fact i wish to pursue a career in nursing and then move into the army and complete my course there.



however both my parents are unhappy with this decision and always try and get me to see the bad points in it and have really pushed me to do teaching they think i am just in a phase (which i am not)

my parents both are the type to change their minds very quickly e.g one minute they are in support of me the next minute they're not



how can i gain their support and really tell them this is what i want to do? not rudely as they take these things very seriosly



thanks 4 all the help in advance



thanks katieNeed help trying to convince parents-changing moods?
Nursing is a wonderful field, I too wanted to become a nurse at your age (Im 24 now). The fact of the matter is is that what you decide to do in your life should be up to you, not your parents. I mean, your the one that is going to be doing the work getting thru school and doing the work in the army, not your folks.

There are 'bad point's' in every career, not just nursing, and if nursing is something you really want to do, then your not going to see the so called bad points in it, you may see them as being new and exciting challenges.

Honestly, your parents sound like my mom, she always sees the negative things to new ideas I have as opposed to the positive ones. Are you closer to one of parents? If so, maybe you could talk to them in private and tell them one-on-one how you feel and maybe they could talk to the other one. I didn't have that advantage, my dad wasn't around.

Just let them know that your standing your ground, and try pointing out the positives in nursing, there are TONS of things nurses can be proud of and advantages and opportunities nurses have, you will never be out of a job when you have your nursing license.

Oh yeah, and point out that just because you want to go to the army NOW doesn't mean that you HAVE to stay there your whole life. With your RN license, you can work in a variety of places. If you want to go to the army now, that's cool, go for it, but with that license, your free to work wherever you choose if you want to do something else later on.Need help trying to convince parents-changing moods?
I'm in year 11 and I know how you're feeling, but I WANT to do teaching. I think you just really need to make it clear to your parents that that is the career path YOU want to follow, it's your choice, not theirs.



Good luck! :)
Sit down and tell them how you feel. Say, 'Mom, dad, I love you both but please respect my dream.'. It IS what you want, right? Think about it. Dig deep into your heart and you will find what you wanna say.
What i think is that you will have to take your parents in confidence,

you sit with them and discuss why do you want to go in nursing.Try to know

reasons why they want to avoid you to go in nursing and satisfy them

with valid answer.Talk with them politely i am sure they will be agree
do what makes you happy i don't think your parents are gonna be there when your 35 and sittin in a tiny apartment by yourself because you just picked what they wanted and didn't look what makes the most money whats gonna make you the happiest what gonna help you raise a family some day

No comments:

Post a Comment