Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Help with bipolar?

im new to the whole bipolar thing, i dont know anything about it, but i know it must be a very hard thing to deal with and let me say that i am sorry to anyone that has this type of disorder, but i have a boyfriend who says that he is bipolar, yet he hasnt shown me any paperwork, but ive been looking up symptoms of it on the internet and they seem to be the same as his, but i want to know, how long does a person usually change moods for, is it usually for 2 or 3 days or what? cause he has been acting depressed and mad lately and has no emotion other times, plus the fact he said he's bi polar, he said he'll be better in a few days and be back to his old self, but how long do you usually stay in that mood?Help with bipolar?
I think it's undetermined as to how long an episode lasts...Ya see, I too--have had a relationship with a guy that was bipolar...And it was soooo difficult--as he refused to take the medication that was prescribed for him! He would get angry at the drop of a hat, and I could never tell what type of mood he was going to be in...He managed his disorder with drugs %26amp; alcohol...instead of the medicine his doc prescribed...





The mood swings are very erratic--as people with this disorder will feel like they are on cloud nine for a short period...and then will crash to a severe low point...Aside from that one bf, I've also had a couple friends with bipolar...My one friend said that she experiences more episodes of depression as opposed to her episodes of mania (highs). It's depends upon the individual--I suppose...And of course--whether or not they are taking meds for their condition...





I'll tell ya--there's a great site out there, where you can gain knowledge %26amp; a better understanding of this type of issue...Check it out: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forum…Help with bipolar?
He's probably not bipolar...


Men rarely get bipolar disorder.
i had a gf that changed by the hour. She would call me screaming, then she would cry, and then apologize and ask if I wanted to see her later and she would be happy. It was weird to deal with, It could vary. Before I knew she was bi, I didn't notice, just thought she was a little weird.
bipolar patients should always be on some type of medicine to manage their symptoms. and they need counseling from time to time. don't blame yourself for how he feels or acts because it's never going to be your fault whether he is bipolar or not.
If it happens that quickly that is kind of hyper-bipolar or something. Usually the swings happen over a couple months period of time or even years. He probably has paperwork, just ask him more about it.
I dont know that it is a disorder. But i do know that people who are this are very split personality. One minite they can be very pissed and the next like happier then a dog when they get a dog bisket.
I had a best friend with bipolar -- not anymore though and I'm good with it.


Here is what they do:


';I am so glad you are my friend and let's have some fun -- a LOT of fun and laughter.


Next day:


';I don't need any friends so leave me alone and I need to just die off the planet';


Next day:


';I'm sorry - you know how I get.....';


Next day:


People are talking about me and trying to hurt me emotionally - everyone is against me';


Next day:


Happy Happy Happy!!


Next day:


';Stop ******* worrying about me and leave me alone';


Next day:


';I'm sorry';


He's 37 and lives with his parents -- he's a mess and as much as I tried to help him, I got a kick in the *** for it -- it won't happen anymore - he refused medication. Said it made him feel numb...........guess they'd rather feel at least SOME happiness than numb all the time ...that's what HE said.


I did research and understand that is not always the case though. I was emotionally drained.


You need to be extremely strong to be in this relationship. I am serious. Good luck!!
Honestly, the upswings and downswings can last a few days or a few months. I think more often they last a few months. Do you know if he is seeing a doctor? There is really very little that can be done for bipolar disorder without medication. The medication WILL help as long as he takes it as prescribed and doesn't convince himself that he doesn't need it.





I had a roommate with bipolar disorder, and at the time, all I knew about it was from movies. Most of what they show you on television isn't true. It comes in LONG swings, and can be helped with medicine. Her biggest problem was that she took herself off the medication when she felt that she had recovered. It doesn't work that way. She ended up trying to hurt herself.





Lastly, It's really great that you're doing research on your own. I'm sure that will help you more than anything and it shows a lot of maturity in your relationship. Kudos.
I have a famlily member with this disorder as well. It's very difficult to deal with because when you love them soooo much, it's terrible to see what they do. When someone has Bipolar disease, their moods change dramatically. Not necessarily in two or three days but in even a day. They don't have emotions sometimes, and they tend to be lonely and anti-social. Drugs is very common in people with Bipolar disease because they are so depressed that they do it because they feel it will make them feel better. BUT, YOU MUST WATCH OUT FOR THIS: PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR TEND TO HAVE THE FEELING OF COMMITTING SUICIDE. 25-50% OF PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR DISEASE HAVE A CHANCE OR DID COMMIT SUICIDE. Bipolar disease is also confused with A.D.D because the symptoms of Bipolar disease and A.D.D are almost the same. So, you should ask your doctor to diagnose your boyfriend. I will pray for him just as much as I pray for the one in my family who has it.
That sounds about right - a few days is how I cycle I guess. Or more. Is he getting medication for this? He probably should talk to his doctor if he is. His meds may need changed if he is depressed for too long - like more than a few days. BUT if you talk to him about it - do it very nicely and expect a possible out burst. Don't always be suggesting it's just his disorder or med imbalance!
You sound like a really smart girl to be thinking about all of this stuff. Good for you! You are doing the right thing by finding out every thing you can before it gets serious.





First, you are on the right track in your thinking. People like to say they are bipolar now days to make excuses for lots of things. They will also tell you that they are OCD or Manic/Depressive. This is a great way to get attention and be forgiven. Make sure he has actually been diagnosed.





It is very important that if your BF is BP he see a doctor regularly and take medication. That is really the only way he will be able to lead a healthy life and have a solid relationship with a another person (you).





Be very careful sweetie as BP patients often use every excuse possible to not get help. It is an unfortunate and sad symptom of their problem. It is also common for them to change or discontinue their meds - which of course changes the mood they are in..





Please make sure you totally love this guy and are completely prepared for a roller coaster relationship before you or he gets too involved. It's only fair to both of you that the groundwork is set up front.





It's such a shame when a person has this disorder, but it can be controlled and with lots of love and support from friends the person can live a stable lifestyle. The problems occur when someone comes into the relationship unprepared.





Peace and blessings to you and your troubled boyfriend.
First, there are two diff levels of bipolar (1 and 2). I am Bipolar 1 rapid cyclying with mixed episodes. With each person it differs. I can be depressed and then a manic spell will break out for a few days, then I will get raged about something and go back to depressed for a few days. So, watch his pattern, I guarantee he has a pattern. Then you will know when he is coming down and when he is about to explode.
I'm Wakster's partner, and am a registered mental health nurse. In my experience of nursing people with this condition, there is no set time for ';high'; or ';low'; moods. However, returning to ';normal'; within a few days is most unusual! Usually the individual is either extremely low in mood - very depressed showing no motivation and very negative. Or totally opposite - very high in mood, e.g.dresses bizarrely, has ideas of grandeur, may spend money excessively....etc. With this condition it is hard to stabilise the individual's mood, and like with several mental disorders the individual is not complient with medication. He will also have been seen by a psychiatrist who would have diagnosed him with this condition. email me if you need any further information.
Think long and hard about continuing this relationship. Please.


Sometimes moods swing within a day. Sometimes it is a few days to a week or so. Sometimes, moods can last months.


My father and my sister have been diagnosed with bipolar. And I think my x is, but there is not an official diagnosis.


Growing up with a father that was so unpredictable was awful. My dad was a good provider. But sometimes bipolar affects a person's ability to work, not in my dad's case. But I remember him taking off work for weeks at a time when he was depressed; some jobs wouldn't let you do that. You never knew what was going to make him mad - sometimes things that should have brought about no reaction in a normal person. Even though I respect my dad, I still to this day do not like him.


My mother has had a terrible life dealing with his moods, anger, or lack of emotion toward her. I would never trade lives with her. I could say things about her life that were good because of my dad - he was a good provider, she was able to be a stay at home mom, she got lots of gifts - expensive jewlrey, etc. But with all that, I would never accept those things to be with a person who you can't be yourself around and have to walk on eggshells. And who doesn't consistently have the ablity to treat you with respect. My dad isn't always awful, but like they say, it only takes a little bit of poison to ruin the pot.


I grew up and married an abusive man. Like I said, I am pretty sure he suffers from bipolar too. When I was dating him, I didn't see anything wrong with when he was mean or angry, because that is how my dad had been. When we were dating, he was way better than my dad too in comparison. I ended up in a really bad marriage. After ten years together, he started to act our physically toward me. And we had a child tether. and now I am trying to get custody of our child.


The legacy of my parents relationship has effected me, my sister, my mom and my son in negative ways.


On the other hand, my dad would probably be dead if my mom didn't marry him. But with that, it has cost her a lot - her happiness, her health, other things I cannot put into words. She basically gave her life to him and he is still a jerk.


Good luck. But please think long and hard about taking this relationship further... My advice... run before you are connected to this man in a way that you can't get out of.
Does he HAVE to show you ';paperwork'; for you to believe he has Bipolar? Do you think he is a compulsive liar and therefore you have to verify everything he says? BTW, compulsive lying is NOT a symptom of Bipolar.





Bipolar takes its sufferers on an emotional roller coaster. There is no definitive time period for our moods. Oh yeah, our loved ones get to sample the horror second hand but it can still be quite scary for them. My ex use to say how ';scary'; it was. All I could do was respond yeah, but he wasn't experiencing it first hand like I was... I had a front row seat in my own personal roller coaster from hell.





All I can say is meds do help to stabilize some bipolars. But it is never EASY. If your BF isn't on meds then I would have to say WALK AWAY. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment